As of October 2010, the site was getting over 93 million unique visitors monthly and is the 32nd most visited website in the world.
Since February 18, 2008, the site supports video content that can play at 720p on a HD set, but the bit rate is significantly less than the 5–9 megabits for expected HD quality.
On January 25, 2011, France Telecom's Orange entered exclusive negotiations with Dailymotion with a view to acquiring a 49% stake in the company for EUR 62M (hence valuing the company at EUR120M). According to LesEchos.fr, Orange is considering to acquire the 51% stakes left of the company to fully own DailyMotion. This potential buyout couldn't exceed €72M, and the transaction date would occur during the first quarter of 2013.
MotionMaker is a group for the original content creators. Official User is a group for the official content producers (i.e.: record labels, film studios, news media, television channels, sports associations, political parties, etc.)
A MotionMaker or an Official User can :
- Customize his/her profile
- Upload videos of unlimited length
- Upload Full HD quality videos (1920*1080p), whereas regular users are limited to Half HD (1280*720p)
- Benefit from an increased visibility
- Have an OfficialContent/CreativeContent overlay affixed on his video thumbnails